Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Why??? Do people think everyone needs to know?

Ugh! I am so annoyed right now. So back when dh and I decided to do IVF and after a lot of thought, I decided to share with all our parents (dh's parents, my mom & stepdad, my dad & his gf), our siblings, and my grandma we were doing IVF. I decided that I wanted their prayers and support throughout the IVF process and it took a lot for me to do that. I concluded that it was more worth it to have their prayers and support than to have my pride. Well, I asked them all not to say anything to anyone and now that it has worked, everyone keeps asking me if we are going to tell people we did IVF. It really urks me especially since I have told them all multiple times NO. Granted I am a hormonal pregnant woman right now and it doesn't take much to irratate me off but seriously it's no one's business how we conceived! I mean, do I go around asking pregnant women and people with children how they got KU? No, its not important, relevant, nor my business. They also don't walk around with a sign on their foreheads that said we conceived one drunken night in a bathroom stall at a bar or whatever their story may be. Its a very private and intimate matter between the mother and the father and that most people if they need to fill in the blanks just do so in their head. Just because our story is more scientific doesn't make it any less private or intimate. It just really makes me almost regret telling these people (our family). Not all are being like that well basically they all are except for my sister and brother and I'm really not sure how dh's bro & SIL feel about it yet but I mean I feel like I have made it very clear my feelings on it. I will share it if I feel I can help someone and I won't lie if someone directly asks me (although I may be crabby about it because I think its utterly rude of them to ask such a personal question). I am just tired of having to reconfirm that I don't want my babies to be labeled invitro babies or for me and dh to be the talk of the town that we have conception issues. Not to mention we're catholic and catholic's don't all agree with AI, obviously some of us do, but it is a part of the catholic's belief that AI is not an option. Neither is birth control or sex before marriage and so yes admittedly I've sinned but I have been forgiven and I think in this case I disagree with the catholic belief but I do not want to be shunned because of it either. I like being catholic and I don't want to start a new faith for disagreeing with one or two things. I am sure there are people of all religions that might not agree with every single thing their religion stands for. Anyhow, enough religion babble. I am just annoyed with like say my MIL who was asked by her sister and BIL if dh and I were TTC and she says yes (eventhough she knew we were pg, she also knew we wanted to wait until after 1st tri to announce to the world) good, great but then she throws out there that she thinks I am doing hormone shots. OMG! WTH? Why would she say that?? Great so now she's created this room for them to possibly ask us about these shots when we announce we're having twins. I am just so annoyed. Its like why would you say anything? GRRRR! I love her and I hate her. She's not even religious and seems like it would be easy for her to lie and she technically did but did a horrible job about it! Good grief! And her sister is SOOOO nosey and not really that nice. She will probably ask us directly about it and I wouldn't doubt it if she asked us in front of the rest of the family for that matter. She has no tact or respect for boundaries. I think I will just say no I am not sure why MIL thought that, guess she was mistaken but I too don't want to lie, I just want to keep my business to myself. There's so much more I could say about that but I better leave it at that because I am getting more pissed off just thinking about it. So then last night my dad was like well your going to tell people right? I was like about what and he was like about the IVF and I said no I don't plan on it. He says well honey you know with twins people just assume. I was like DAD! Your brother and sister are fraternal twins, it is all genetic and not that far fetched! Let them draw their own conclusions. Again I told him its none of their business how we conceived and if directly asked I won't lie but I am not going around making it public knowledge. It just bugs me! I see where these people are coming from but they have no idea. Even after conquering IF I am still an IFer and I HATE how the world has no idea the pain of IF and the feeling of inadequacy. I don't want anyone that is ill willed or ignorant to come to the conclusion that God didn't want us to have babies or it would have happened for us or whatever idiotic thoughts some might have in regards to IF. I am very angry about this, I need to let it go. Live and let live. I am just tired of it haunting me daily lately. Sorry for the long rambled on blog, I needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for hearing me ladies. I hope I have not offended anyone, that was and never is my intention. (((HUGS)))

4 comments:

  1. I agree - it's no one's business but your own. C's sister had IUIs as well and they told family - we kept our mouths shut about the whole thing. As soon as the announcement was made that she was expecting all of them told everyone in sight that she had to have 'help' getting pregnant... I just think that it's not theirs to share - they should respect your privacy and keep thier mouths shut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the "drunk one night in a bar bathroom...". Wouldn't that be fun? It shouldn't be the IFers who are scrutinized as to how we got pg. (it should be the unwed teenagers!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I wonder why they want to tell everyone you did IVF? I would think that would be your decision to tell not theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie,

    I totally agree with what you said - it is no ones business at all. and yes the drunken bathroom comment was hilarious. I am catholic too so I KWYM about the religious aspect. Maybe the only thing that might help your family is what do they answer if someone asks them if the twins were natural, or if they are asked if you had IF treatment. What did you decide you would answer?

    ReplyDelete